A half-century of podcasts and the boys are going strong! A packed show this week delivers some positive news in the way of the CA Program and digitisation, along with some commentary on the other side of the spectrum in the way of banking and dividend imputation.
‘From The Trenches’ - Real Life in the Accounting Industry presented by Paul Meissner and David Boyar.
0:42 Best on Ground
ASX 100: Xero In, Myer Out
‘Out with the old, in with the new’
Practice Ignition Women’s Day Awards
Celebrating The Top 50 Women in Accounting
Ron Baker – CPA Practice Advisor Accounting Hall of Fame
‘Absolute gentleman, amazing person, so knowledgeable’
Tech Savvy Accountants Will Navigate The Digital Future
‘What tech does is reduce the gap between the haves and the have-nots in the profession’
CA Program Headed For Reform
‘A big opportunity for reform, but will they stuff it up?’
11:08 Worst on Ground
Labor Risks a Revolt From A Powerful Bloc
Banking Royal Commission Consumer Lending Hearing
‘It’s been a long time coming’
Social Media Marketing in Accounting
‘Two firms. Two ads. Same photo. Same content.’
22:15 5 in 5 Summary:
The boys are joined by Sholto Macpherson (Editor and Publisher at Digital First) ahead of the Accounting Business Expo next week. Here’s what to look out for:
· Addressing key issues in data collection, hourly billing to fixed fees, accounting advisory services and value-add for accountants.
· Having Intuit, MYOB and Xero in the same room(!)
· Build a shopping list of the best questions to ask the best people – they’re all on your doorstep.
· Head to the website for the ‘match-making’ function to work out which exhibits would best suit you.
29:51 In-Depth Topic:
Xero went down on Monday, so Paul and David discussed what to do when your technology goes on holiday:
· Don’t panic and don’t blow up - the data is safe
· Check Twitter/Software status page – you’ll get the peace of mind to get on with your day
· Call clients and engage staff – it calms the troops and builds rapport
· Use another system – there’s always stuff to do: email inquiries, tax systems
· Pick up the phone and call your clients - provide reassurance and show proactivity
· Conduct training – a conversational style internal or external focus session
· Filing - be productive, get organised and put your files onto your Cloud storage system