After the dust cleared from the amazing success that was the end of year party, Dave and Paul are back for another week in the trenches.
They go in depth about automation and artificial intelligence - two key forces in the industry – as well as delving into the worlds of consulting and compliance.
For the 5-in-5, Dave sits down with Lance Rubin, a Sequel CFO colleague of his to discuss financial modelling and analytics. Finally, the in-depth topic covers the tips and tricks behind success networking in the accounting industry.
0:52 Best on Ground:
Artificial Intelligence Will Be Net UK Jobs Creator, Finds Report
Interesting perspective on the transition and dynamic change
The Most Important Metric Professional Services Businesses Fail To Capture
‘That look across the sector is very interesting’
Client Pricing Model Transition Fraught With Risks
‘I like this article, it puts a big trend into context’
Automation Won’t Reduce Finance and Accounting Staff: Study
‘A big claim but well supported’
15:23 Worst on Ground:
Phoenix Bill Tipped To Drive More Tax Monitoring Compliance Actions
The boys actually disagreed on whether this was a BOG or WOG!
‘I read this and felt like it’s a great summary and a big reason why there’s mistrust in the industry’
Dave sits down with renowned financial modeller and thought leader, Lance Rubin from Sequel CFO to get his thoughts on financial modelling and how it can help to solve business problems. Here’s a summary of his thoughts;
- Analytics provides insight, financial modelling provides foresight
- Challenges and headwinds for each business need to be assessed appropriately for each context
- There are great Excel guides, practice sets and content for Excel online – practice, practice, practice!
32:45 In Depth Topic:
Paul and Dave talk a lot about industry events, marketing and partnerships. Underpinning all of this is a strong network, so the boys give their tips on what works for them:
- Have a pitch that isn't boring, you’re not ‘just an accountant’
- There are no bad networking conversations
- Share ides and content online
- Know who you want to connect with and work backwards
- Networking should be an online and offline activity
- Ensure you look professional online