The Generals are back, this time catching up with Kate Carnell – the inaugural Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman (ASBFEO).
Kate is an independent advocate for small business owners, focusing on legislation and regulation that helps small businesses succeed and grow. Her office also provides advice and support for disputes and issues, assisting them to both manage the present and prepare for the future.
Join Paul and Dave as they talk to Kate about her role, the small business space and her thoughts on key issues she encounters.
Kate talks about the functions of her office, the small business lending environment, managing cash flow and business strategies, the impact of legislation and much more. Here’s a summary of what Dave and Paul posed to her:
- Tell us a bit about your role and what your office does?
- What is your view on the role accountant’s play in the small business space?
- What do you see as the three biggest struggles for small businesses?
- How do you deal with legislation not aligning to the gig economy in some cases?
- What are your thoughts on the ATO, and give us a perspective of the challenges facing SME’s when dealing with the tax office?
- Mental health and wellbeing is so important in our profession, let’s talk about that.
Find out more about Kate Carnell on her profiles below: